Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Big Sit!

After doing the Montezuma Muckrace, I have really been inspired to do more organized birding. I like setting aside a special day, especially during migration, to take the time and pay attention to our avian wonders. I have decided that on October 8th, I am going to participate in an international Big Sit day. The Big Sit, as created by the New Haven Bird Club, is hosted by Bird Watchers Digest magazine. It is open to anyone and everyone, in any city, state, or country. It costs nothing.

So what is it? It is like a bird-a-thon of sorts. You pick a spot somewhere on the planet, and plot out a 17 foot diameter circle around this spot. This is your base for the next 24 hours. You then record every bird species you see or hear. You can leave the cicle if you see a bird that you need to get a closer look to identify, but all birds have to be seen from the circle, more or less. You then report your birds online. My team name is the Ballou Jays. Simple, right?

So where am I sitting? I have a spot picked out up at Durand Eastman park on the shore of Lake Ontario. I will be just west of parking lot "D", just North of Eastman "Lake". Its a nice spot that has views of the lake, the pond, nice trees with berries and fruit, a couple of grills. I have already seen herons, ducks, gulls, and terns from this point, and hope that I'll see even more. If the weather stinks, I may have to cancel, as this is a pretty exposed spot. Another drawback is there is a fair amount of traffic along Lakeshore Dr., but early on a Sunday morning, I expect it will be quieter then the times I have been there. I plan to be there from sunrise to a little after sunset. I think the cops would kick me out if I was there for 24 hours.

I would really like some visitors! The spot is very easy to get to by everyone, so I hope you consider coming out to say hi, or to sit for a little while and watch birds with me (or bring me food or give me a ride down the road to the port-o-potty). It is actually designed to be a team event, so if you would like to participate with me, I would love your company. Just bring a chair, and a pair of binoculars if you got one (I have an extra pair too). I'm also looking to buy, rent, borrow, steal a spotting scope for the day, as there are many birds out on the lake to see if I can get a closer look. If you know of anyone who has one, please let me know.

Well, hope to see you there...wish me luck!

2 comments:

marylee said...

Really sounds like fun...I won't be able to visit you but wish you the best and hope for good weather.

Wyvern said...

I hope you have good weather. Of course, the birds don't mind the weather, right? Hope you have a relaxing day just watching the birds!